About Asarel - Medet
Assarel-Medet JSC Mining and Processing Complex is the first, biggest and leading Bulgarian company for open pit mining and processing of copper and other types of ores. It is located at 11 km northwest from the town of Panagyurishte and at 90 km east from the capital Sofia.
Assarel-Medet JSC is a joint-stock company of core activity open pit mining and processing of copper and other types of ores, biochemical leaching of copper and the associated engineering and commercial activity. The company performs exploration, engineering implementation, design, environmental and other activities.
Assarel-Medet JSC produces and offers copper concentrates and copper cathodes of high quality.
The company has at its disposal mining machines which are unique for the country and state-of-the-art flotation equipment of leading world manufacturers. The main mining equipment of Assarel Mine includes modern 250-mm bit drilling units, 130-tonne trucks and 17 cubic meter shovels. The first in the North Hemisphere 160-m3 flotation cells of latest generation are operational at the Assarel Concentrator Plant. Automated systems for technological process management and control have been implemented at the Assarel Mine and Concentrator Plant which ensure high efficiency and throughput.
Assarel-Medet JSC has been awarded with tens of national and international prizes in the area of investment, innovations, environmental protection, management, corporate culture, occupational health and safety and corporate social responsibility.
The company team comprises of 1,200 people who are employed at Assarel-Medet JSC and 400 people hired in its subsidiaries and affiliates.
ASSAREL-MEDET JSC FOR PANAGYURISHTE MUNICIPALITY
The activity of the company takes place on 1.96% on the territory of Panagyurishte municipality. It observes unconditionally the emission limits based on all environmental protection indices in compliance with the European and Bulgarian regulative requirements.
Assarel-Medet JSC provides:
- More than 90% of the taxes paid to the state budget among the companies in the municipality.
- More than 80% of the volume of produced commodities among all companies in the municipality.
- More than 70% of the revenues from local taxes and charges and more than 30% of all revenues to the budget of Panagyurishte Municipality.
- More than 60% of the cash incomes of the population in the municipality without considering the revenues from shareholder dividends.
- More than 30% of the occupied jobs in the municipality business sector plus another 6,400 jobs in the municipality and the country servicing the company.
The company is traditionally the biggest and most eminent sponsor of Panagyurishte Municipality.
It awarded with Merits to Panagyurishte Honorary Token by Panagyurishte Municipality in 2005. Only since 2012, social projects amounting to more than 150 million BGN have been implemented through public-private partnership. The most significant of them are the treasure hall hosting the Golden Treasure of Panagyurishte, the multifunctional Arena Assarel sports hall and the modern medical complex with a high-technology radiology treatment center, Uni Hospital General Medical Treatment Facility.
ASSAREL-MEDET JSC FOR PAZARDAHIK DISTRICT
The activity of the company takes place upon 0.26% от of the territory of Parazdzhik district.
The major employer, tax payer, insurer and sponsor in the district.
ASSAREL-MEDET JSC FOR BULGARIA
The activity of the company takes place upon 0.01 % of the territory of the country.
Assarel-Medet JSC is of fundamental significance for the national economy:
- It provides more than half of the copper production in the country.
- The first company in the mining industry which implemented the ISO 9001 International Quality AssuranceStandard in 1999.
- The first company in the country which implemented the ISO 14001 International Environmental Protection Standard in 2002.
- The first company in the mining industry which implemented the OHSAS 18001 International Occupational Health and Safety Standard in the heavy industry and Integrated Management System based on the three main international standards: for quality assurance, environmental protection and occupational health and safety in 2003. In 2018, the company was also certified for efficient energy management.
- The first company in the mining industry which was awarded with the Investor of the Year prize in 2007. In 2011, it was distinguished for the second time in the national Investor of the Year competition and was bestowed with the Green Investment’2011 award by the Bulgarian Investment Agency. In 2016, Assarel-Medet JSC won the big award Investor of the Year for 2015 for its investment in constructing the modern medical complex, Uni Hospital General Medical Treatment Facility.
- The first company in the mining industry awarded with the Big National Award of Pari newspaper (Capital Daily) for corporate social responsibility in 2009.
- The first company in the mining industry awarded with Prometeya prize of the Confederation of Independent Trade Unions in Bulgaria for high occupational health and safety standard in 2009.
- It was awarded with the Green Business prize within the national campaign entitled Green Bulgaria and conducted in 2012.
- The company became winner in the Occupational Health and Safety National Competition in the Large Enterprises sector.
- It has been awarded five times with the branch award for corporate social responsibility bestowed by the Bulgarian Chamber of Mining and Geology following a poll by national media journalists.